Wave chasers and desk jockeys! Are you, like me, struggling to balance your 9-to-5 with your passion for surfing? You’re not alone.
In a world where the grind doesn’t always align with the tides, finding that sweet spot between work and waves can seem elusive. I’d got some suggestions from experiencee to help you harmonize your professional responsibilities with your surf cravings. But also like to hear yours (please comment below).
The 7 suggestions for an optimal work-surf balance
1. Embracing Flexible Work Arrangements: Make Waves in Your Work Schedule
- Negotiate for Flexibility: Show your boss how a flexible schedule won’t compromise your work. Propose a trial period to prove its effectiveness.
- Early Birds and Night Owls: Adjust your work hours to free up prime surfing times. Catch a dawn patrol session or hit the waves at sunset.
2. Maximizing Time Off: Strategic Surf Holidays
- Plan Around Surf Seasons: Use your vacation days when the waves are calling. Consider taking time off during less popular surfing periods, like Easter.
- Weekend Warrior: Make the most of your weekends. A quick surf trip can recharge your batteries for the upcoming work week.
3. The Magic of Dawn and Dusk: Surf Around Your Schedule
- Routine Matters: Gradually shift your sleeping pattern to accommodate early morning or late evening surf sessions.
- Quality Over Quantity: Sometimes, a quick but intense session can be more fulfilling than a whole day of mediocre waves.
4. Quality Over Quantity: Making Every Session Count
- Spot Selection: Do your homework. Choose spots that suit your skill level and the day’s conditions.
- Skill Focus: Set a goal for each session. Work on that cutback or pop-up you’ve been struggling with.
5. Living the Local Life: Close to the Swell, Close to the Heart
- Home is Where the Waves Are: If feasible, move closer to your favorite surf spot. This can be a game-changer in terms of spontaneity and frequency of your surf sessions.
6. Physical and Mental Preparation: Stay Surf-Ready, Always
- Cross-Training: Engage in activities like swimming, yoga, or balance training to keep your body surf-ready.
- Mental Surfing: Visualize your maneuvers or watch surfing tutorials to keep your mind sharp.
7. Acceptance and Balance: Finding Peace in the Ebb and Flow
- The Reality of Responsibilities: Recognize that sometimes work has to come first, and that’s okay.
- Immerse in Surf Culture: When you can’t hit the waves, dive into surf literature, films, or local surf events.
Balancing a full-time job with your surfing passion isn’t always easy, but it’s definitely achievable. With a bit of planning and flexibility, you can make room for both in your life. Remember, it’s not about choosing one over the other; it’s about making them work together in harmony. So, keep chasing those waves, but don’t forget to hit those deadlines too!
Happy surfing and successful working, everyone!